- 3/4 cup (180 mL) almond flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) spelt or whole wheat flour
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) honey
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking powder
- 1 Tbsp (45 mL) applesauce
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) butter, melted
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh or frozen blueberries
Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Lightly grease a muffin pan; set aside.
Mix together almond flour; spelt or whole wheat flour; and baking powder in bowl. Stir in applesauce, honey, and butter.
In separate bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer for 4 minutes, or until soft peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into almond mixture.
Fill each muffin cup half-full with batter and top with an uneven number of blueberries.
Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until edges are slightly browned. Cool 10 minutes before unmolding.
Makes 6 cakes.